All members of the General Coordination Unit (here under referenced as GCU), all members of the Regional Coordination Unit (here under referenced as RCU) all members of the Country Coordination Unit (hereby referred to as CCU) involved with the Africa Science Diplomacy and Policy Network (ASDPN) shall strive to reflect the following professional, ethical and personal qualities:
- Leadership and the ability to motivate and support those within the ASDPN community as the official representative of the ASDPN global community.
- Passion for identifying and addressing social problems within the stated mandates and mission of ASDPN.
- Commitment to making positive change and helping others through various means including engagement, awareness-raising, education and capacity-building
- Members must ensure that their actions cannot be interpreted as being, in any way, in contravention of the principles, laws and regulations governing ASDPN’s operations.
- When dealing with any individual or institution outside of ASDPN, members must take care not to divulge information or material meant for internal use. Members must also take care not to compromise the integrity or damage the reputation of ASDPN, or any outside individual, business, or government body.
- Must not engage in, participate in, or endorse deceptive, violent, dangerous, or unethical practices, which include but are not limited to, acts of bribery, accepting bribes, sexual harassment, and hostility against states and individuals, use of inappropriate language, keeping and posting inappropriate materials, drinking, gambling, swearing and other unprofessional behavior while on the job.
- Respect the privacy of others and keep private information confidential unless such information is required to be disclosed by law.
- Members must not use ASDPN’s identification, stationery, supplies, and equipment for personal or political matters.
- Members who have access to funds in any form must follow the prescribed procedures for recording, handling, and protecting money as detailed in ASDPN’s financial policies and procedures or other explanatory materials, or both. ASDPN imposes strict standards to prevent fraud and dishonesty. Funds and all other assets of ASDPN are purposed for the organization only and not for personal benefit.
- Respect state institutions and work towards supporting state actions as well as actions of other organizations which are geared towards the advancement of development.
- All members of ASDPN share a serious responsibility for the Organization’s good public relations, especially at the community level. They must avoid conflicts of interest, and disclose any potential conflicts of interest to ASDPN and conduct with the utmost integrity, respect, and competence. Members must also devote sufficient time and effort for the advancement of the works of ASDPN.
Procedures, including grievance and whistle-blowing mechanisms, have been put in place to encourage prevention, detection, reporting, and management of all types of misbehavior, harassment and abuse.
An inappropriate behavior is one that has an immediate or potential negative impact on our membership, partners and target population.
Through these mechanisms, all members of ASDPN are encouraged to report inappropriate behavior or abuse either through their management line or through specific reporting channels, using dedicated email addresses and outside any hierarchical lines.
Victims or witnesses in the communities where ASDPN works are likewise encouraged to report misconduct to us in line with the ASDPN Code of Conduct so that allegations can be properly addressed.
ASDPN places specific importance in protecting victims of misconduct and whistle-blowers. Our aim is to create an environment where they feel they can safely file complaints, without fearing for their safety, their position within and out of the organization, or their confidentiality.